Want to drink more kombucha but frustrated with how expensive it is? Want to make your own but don't know how to obtain a reliable SCOBY. Well guess what? You can make your own SCOBY at home!
Making a SCOBY at home is easy, fast, and safe. Follow these simple steps to grow a SCOBY at home.
What you need:
Directions to make SCOBY:
1. Clean out your mason jar with hot water and some distilled white vinegar. Do not wash it with soap just before using it. This can interfere with the kombucha.
2. Bring water to a boil in a kettle. Place tea bags in a large bowl. When water comes to a boil, pour in bowl and let tea steepen.
3. Remove tea bags, stir in sugar until dissolved. Let water cool to room temperature--if water is too hot it can kill the bacteria in kombucha.
4. When cooled, add water to mason jar. Then pour in starter tea.
5. Cover mason jar with cloth, and secure with rubber band. Label jar with date (incase you forget about it).
6. Let sit at room temperature away from direct sunlight for about 1-3 weeks. After a few days, you'll notice a film develop. The film will eventually thicken into a disc. If nothing forms within 3 weeks, dump the kombucha and try again with a fresh batch.
Want to learn more about the brewing process? Click here to learn how to make kombucha at home.
Want to learn more about the health benefits of drinking kombucha? Click here to learn about probiotics.